Skip to main content

My Journey: Childhood

This is my first story and this is my real life story i will be telling complete story from my child hood to  present day

My name is Arun, but I go by Anjana. I come from Udupi, and my family consists of three members: my father, my mother, and me. My father works as a Bank Manager and is also a talented Yakshagana artist. My mother is a dedicated homemaker. Growing up in a family rich in culture, I was introduced to the traditional folk dance form of Yakshagana at a young age.

For those who may not know, Yakshagana is a vibrant and elaborate art form popular in the coastal districts of Karnataka. It uniquely combines dance, music, song, scholarly dialogues, and colorful costumes. My father, passionate about this art, wished for me to learn it as well. Thus, at the age of six, I began my journey in Yakshagana. It quickly became a cherished daily routine for me to practice this beautiful art form after school.



One day, my school organized a fancy dress competition where we had to dress up as freedom fighters. With 60 students in our class, each one chose a different historical figure. By the time it was my turn, only one option was left: Kittur Chennamma, a female freedom fighter.

I went home and told my mother about the competition. She was thrilled and immediately began preparing. She asked me to freshen up, then started draping a saree around me to see how I would look. My mother, being a skilled tailor, took my measurements and stitched a blouse for me. The next day, she made sure everything fit perfectly and taught me some slogans. We rehearsed for two days.

On the day of the competition, my mother woke me up early, made me bathe, and started doing my makeup. She helped me wear the blouse, draped the saree, and styled a wig with a braid. She then took me to school, where everything went smoothly. My friends were amazed, and I ended up winning first place. 

This was the first time I dressed as a girl, and it wasn't the last.

Please Leave your comments and suggestions so that i can improve the story 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey: Annual day 10 Final

Please read the previous parts to understand the this story, to read previous story click on the story name  My Journey: Annual day 9 Monday arrived, just five days before the annual day. Our principal announced that there would be no more regular classes, and from now on, we would focus only on practice. Our teacher called our group and took us to the auditorium. She told us how the show would start, who would go first on stage, and how the others should enter afterward. We practiced hard until lunch. After lunch, the principal gathered everyone and informed us that the rehearsals would now take place on stage in the exact order as the annual day. This was to make sure everything would run smoothly. The whole school gathered in the auditorium. First, the primary school students performed, followed by the high school students. Our performance was scheduled last as we were in 10th grade. When it was our turn, the girls in our class went first. Then it was our turn. I felt a wave of ner

My Journey: New Start

Please read the previous parts to understand this story click on the name of previous part to read it  My Journey: Annual day 10 Final After the annual day was over, I slept soundly, feeling relieved and happy. Sunday arrived, and since I had no plans, I let myself sleep in. When I finally got up, I took a bath and then went into my mother’s room, still wrapped in my towel. When my mom came in and saw me, she asked with a smile, "Why are you sitting here in your towel?" I replied, half-joking, "Where is my saree?" She laughed softly and said, "The annual day is over, and you don’t need to wear a saree anymore." Her words reminded me that the exciting event was really over. I went back to my room and changed into my regular t-shirt and shorts, but a part of me missed the feel of the saree. It had been so comfortable and felt special. After breakfast, my father had already gone to the studio to practice Yakshagana, leaving the house quiet. I spent most of th

My Journey: Annual day 1

Read the Previous part by clicking on the Story name  My Journey: Mother's Wish This routine continued for the next two days until my father returned from his training. In the following years, the opportunity to wear a saree didn't present itself again as my mother seemed to lose interest in those activities. When I was in the 10th standard, our school prepared for its annual day celebrations. Boys in our class were assigned to perform Yakshagana, a traditional art form, while the girls were to showcase Bharatanatyam, a classical dance form. With very few girls in our class, our teacher rushed into the classroom one day with exciting news—we would be performing a scene from the epic Mahabharata for the Yakshagana segment. Roles were quickly assigned based on height and suitability. The tallest boys were chosen to play the Pandavas, some took on roles as Kauravas, and there were only two of us left: my friend, who was taller than me, and myself, the shortest in the class. The on